Observation

"Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again..."

Name:
Location: Tampa, FL, United States

Monday, August 10, 2009

Hold Music. Not Hold the Music, but Hold Music

Jeffrey Tucker wrote a brief piece on "hold music"--the music one hears when you place a call and get put on hold. I agree with many of his points. Coincidentally, last Friday night was one of the extraordinarily rare moments when I enjoyed the hold music and hung on for about ten minutes before a live person picked up. In my case, I was calling a physician to question a medication order in a hospital. The "hold music" was a composer's version of Fiddler on the Roof. Having seen the play, with Topol himelf playing the lead, just a few months ago I was familiar with the tunes. I heard about three consecutive numbers before the answering service person picked up and enjoyed every minute of the long wait. Had the hold music been typical I would have hung up after about 3 minutes and tried again later as the issue was not life-threatening. The patient benefited nonetheless as he received his medication at a more appropriate dose in a timelier fashion--thanks to the physician's office choice of hold music.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home